ICU unlocked

 ICU achievement unlocked: when everyone had given up following several failed attempts, me and my friend Dr Asif refused to give up on him, he was cyanosed with no peripheral or carotid pulsation. Asif commenced chest compression and bagging (another doctor from M48) after 3 or 4 cycles we were almost ready for DC shock. When I finally got my hands on the laryngoscope I was lucky enough to intubate him under 15 secs on my first and single attempt ( before this others tried and had already given up). It was a difficult intubation. Making sure the tube had gone in its right place, Asif promptly set up the Ventilator and connected the patient. We observed for 30 minutes and with falling blood pressure we started inotropic support, calculated dose according to his body weight (our 3 M 48 doctors did this part with great efficiency and promptness). At that time patient had good O2 saturation , Bp within normal range , showing good response on the ventilator monitor.  But we felt anything might happen, our patient was lying lifeless connected to the mechanical ventilator with inotropic support. The anxious night passed, in the morning before our ICU shift ended we went to check on our patient ( this time only Asif and myself), we witnessed the man who was lying lifeless just 11 hours back was moving his limbs and with good vitals. Maybe he pretty much decided to live another day refusing  to give up on himself, just like me and my friend Asif who refused to give up on him, when everyone else did. (special thanks to those 3 M48 doctors because it was a team effort and for showing the level of maturity which is expected from them)- End of 2017. Next day was new year’s eve.



Series: Walk down the memory lane (Beginning to the end - Residency) #drandalib

Click here to view my Instagram

WhatsApp  +8801719627049 or https://wa.me/message/WII5O6DN26VKM1



Click for more images at Instagram
WhatsApp  +8801719627049 or https://wa.me/message/WII5O6DN26VKM1




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baker’s cyst or popliteal cyst - Explained

Life in lock-down (2020 pandemic)

Hirschsprung's disease - Overview