Life in lock-down (2020 pandemic)









Who would have thought what our lives would be if we were to live in cages. Being isolated from the rest of the society and almost being marooned in a deserted island gave me a lot of time to reflect on all those things which I had taken for granted. As an young adult i always enjoyed strolling around in the park, often meeting with my school friends on the weekends and grabbing a snack from the nearby french cafe while reading my favorite book laying aimlessly on that not so comfortable park bench and gentle breeze used to brush my face making a mess of my salt and pepper hair. Here in this same old-school park bench, was where I met the love of my life and in this very spot where I had asked her hand for marriage. Now in recent days, considering the horrors of world wide global pandemic COVID 19, it only seems like a dream of the past, if one is thinking of venturing into the outdoors.

Different people bears different mechanisms for coping with disastrous scenarios, for example my mother these days, who happens to be a school teacher, had always been invariably busy with her students, she now has taken the utterly important and daunting task of disinfecting all the household articles, especially the groceries; every time they enter our lavish paternal mansion. The same is certainly not true for my father, being the scholarly person he is, most of the time he indulges himself with all his vintage philosophical books most of which hailing from the Victorian timeline, needless to say attaining those books into my father's mammoth collection created quite the vacuum in his not so philosophical bank account. My wife who happens to be a dentist, having an well established practice with a fat yearly turnover, considering the virulence of the virus, now has stopped her lucrative dental practice; and with all the much excess time in her hands now I feel she is aiming to be the next Instagram sensation with all her makeover tutorial and healthy eating habits. For the sake of my wife and to keep her nerves calm, also to keep her engaged with her acts, most of the time i play the role of the silent video-grapher ''autobot'' transforming into a living tripod and the submissive husband. I do not mind all the changes, as long as there exists peace in the family.

The COVID days may be different from our usual days, yes the times are hard but in spite of all the harshness and calamities and fear of losing our loved ones, what I enjoy the most is the time which I get to spend with my family. Perhaps we have been locked down forcefully against our free-will but knowingly or unknowingly we all have grown more close to one another and maybe this is the story of every home. People fear death and they want to live long but I have come to realize it is not the quantity rather it is the quality of life which actually matters.

Dr Saad Andalib
MBBS,MS(THESIS‎)
Senior surgical resident
Dept' of Pediatric & Neonatal surgery
Mymensingh Medical College Hospital, Bangladesh.

Click for my instagram



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baker’s cyst or popliteal cyst - Explained

Hirschsprung's disease - Overview

ICU unlocked